Work closely with local teachers and pupils in one of our islands 6 schools.
You will be involved in the lesson planning and implementation, teaching grades 1-12 subjects like: Math, English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
Get involved in the community and take part in extracurricular activities, like sports and beach cleaning.
It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Sundays every week|
|Duration||3 - 12 weeks|
|Requirements||• You have a degree in/or related to teaching
• You have experience in the subject you wish to teach in (high school diploma minimum)
• You are open-minded towards other cultures
• You are willing to help us build a stronger community!
• You can present a clean criminal record (required by local law)
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
In Naifaru we have 6 schools catering for children from grades 1 – 12. You could teach a variety of subjects from English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and/or Physics. You will be involved throughout the process of planning and teaching classes and dependent on your experience, will be given opportunities to lead classes yourself and get involved with extracurricular activities, e.g. sports, art etc. Classes start at 6:30am – 8:30am, then from 9:30am – 12am.
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Volunteers are essential on this program as you provide international experience to our education system, adding a fresh perspective on teaching and presenting the children with an opportunity to learn about new cultures and new ways of living.
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua stay. We have single-sex shared bedrooms with 2/3 people/room. All rooms are en-suite and comes equipped with own bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area equipt with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle. Rooms all have air-condition. Your accommodation is covered in the programme fee.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion per week. Normally on a Saturday but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We can go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come back
In order to volunteer in our teaching programme, you would need to come to the Maldives on a Business visa.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field (e.g. marine biology)
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old)
- A medical report (less than 3 months old)
- A police report (less than 1 year old)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
If you are in doubt if you qualify or not, send us an e-mail and we will help clear it up.
In order to secuire the visa, we would need this information 2 months prior to arrival. It is possible to apply later than 2 months prior to arrival, but in that case, we will not be held responsible if the visa is not ready.
|2 weeks||Not Available|
Become a volunteer in the Maldives, education is the most powerful weapon to inspire change; better a community while bettering yourself.
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40. Insurance fee is, however, only needed for business visa.
Other Volunteer Programmes
Write us with any doubt that you have regarding our programmes.
Visit our FAQs to resolve your doubts about volunteering in Maldives.