Our children are at the heart of our community, and we know that education is their best chance to better themselves and their community, in our still developing country. Volunteers have the opportunity to work with children of all ages across a range of subjects including Math, English and Science. You will quickly become an integral part of the school, and be heavily involved in all aspects of the education system, from planning to implementation, and extracurricular activities. Working with the challenges of a developing countries education system, honing your teaching skills, and knowing you've made a real difference to our children, and therefore community's, future, is a life-changing experience for our volunteers.
- Work closely with local teachers and pupils in one of our island's 6 schools.
- Experience the challenges of working in a developing country.
- You will be involved in the lesson planning and implementation, teaching grades 1-12 subjects like: Math, English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- Get involved in the community and take part in extracurricular activities such as sports and nature clubs.
- It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions including snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Saturdays every week|
|Duration||3 - 12 weeks|
|Requirements||• You have a degree in/or related to teaching
• You have experience in the subject you wish to teach in (high school diploma minimum)
• You are open-minded towards other cultures
• You are willing to help us build a stronger community!
• You can present a clean criminal record (required by local law)
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
In Naifaru we have six schools catering for children from grades 1 – 12, and you can teach a variety of subjects from English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry and/or Physics. You will be involved throughout the process of planning and teaching classes and will be given opportunities to lead classes yourself and get involved with extracurricular activities, e.g. sports, art etc. Classes start at 6:30am – 8:30am, then from 9:30am – 12am.
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Volunteers are essential on this program as you provide international experience to our education system, adding a fresh perspective on teaching, and presenting the children with an opportunity to learn about new cultures and new ways of living. Our children know that getting a good education is their best chance to improve their future, and so are keen to learn.
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua Inn. We have single-sex shared bedrooms, usually with 2 people per room, although private accommodation is also available for additional cost. All rooms are en-suite and come equipped with a private bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle, and soon feels like home, a great place to relax after a rewarding day in the Marine Centre! Your accommodation is included in the programme fee. More information on Aqua Inn can be found here.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion off the island per week, normally on a Saturday, but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll, and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We snorkel around our island's reefs most afternoons, play cards, play volleyball, go crab catching, have movie nights, and through it all, make life long friends. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come back
In order to volunteer in our teaching programme, you would need to come to the Maldives on a Business visa.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field (e.g. teaching)
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old)
- A medical report (we will provide the form to be completed by a doctor)
- A police report (less than 6 months)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
If you are in doubt if you qualify or not, send us an e-mail and we will help clear it up.
In order to secuire the visa, we would need this information 2 months prior to arrival. It is possible to apply later than 2 months prior to arrival, but in that case, we will not be held responsible if the visa is not ready.
|2 weeks||Not Available|
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40 (business visa only). Your fee covers in country transfers, accommodation in Naifaru, 3 meals a day, activities and a weekly excursion. We find volunteers spend very little additional money whilst with us. Without these funds, we would not be able to continue our community outreach projects.
Other Volunteer Programmes
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more information or if you have any specific questions. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
Visit our FAQs to see if we can solve your query, if not feel free to email us and we will help in any way we can.