Nothing quite brings a community together like the spirit and teamwork of sport! As a community, we understand the importance of fitness, and providing opportunities for our youths to develop skills that will improve their future. With our sports programme, volunteers are given great flexibility to mold the programme to suit your interests, experiences and passions. From sports classes, educational events and sporting tournaments, volunteers have the unique opportunity to become fully integrated into the heart of our community, get to know the spirit of our youth, and make a difference to their future.
- Sports are incredibly important to our community, and as a sports teacher you could help train the next generation of budding athletes.
- Volleyball and football are locally very popular, as is fitness, however we welcome most sports! Unusually for a small island, not many children can swim so swimming instructors are also in demand!
- Gain experience in leadership, organising, marketing, event management and community outreach to enhance your future career.
- Have a fun and memorable experience helping to organise local tournaments and getting to know our vibrant community.
- It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions including snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Saturdays every week|
|Duration||2 - 12 weeks
We recommend at least 3 weeks
|Requirements||• You have experience in one or more sports (e.g. football, fitness, swimming, volleyball, badminton)
• You are a driven sports enthusiast
• You enjoy working with youth and children
• You are open-minded and forthcoming
• You are willing to commit yourself to helping our community!
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
Volunteers can choose between teaching a number of sports including: fitness instructor, volleyball coach, football coach and swimming instructor. If you would prefer to gain a variety of different teaching experiences, then you can teach all of these sports throughout your stay. As a sports instructor, you will assist teams in designing training plans and organise tournaments within the community, but also between islands. Volunteers will also get the chance to set up female teams and children as we strive to involve everyone from the community in our activities. This is an exciting opportunity for anyone wishing to gain international experience teaching sports for both students and trained professionals alike.
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Being a small island community, recreational activities can often be limited and sometimes children or adults turn to undesirable activities to pass the time. Through creating these sports opportunities we seek to enrich the lives of our youth and keep them off a bad path. Volunteers provide international expertise and a passion for sports, which spreads to the community, improving the quality of life for local people.
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua Inn. We have single-sex shared bedrooms, usually with 2 people per room, although private accommodation is also available for additional cost. All rooms are en-suite and come equipped with a private bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle, and soon feels like home, a great place to relax after a rewarding day in the Marine Centre! Your accommodation is included in the programme fee. More information on Aqua Inn can be found here.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion off the island per week, normally on a Saturday, but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll, and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We snorkel around our island's reefs most afternoons, play cards, play volleyball, go crab catching, have movie nights, and through it all, make life long friends. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come again
Coming to the Maldives as a volunteer, the duration of time staying here will have an impact on the kind of visa you will get, and therefore which requirements needed.
Up to 30 days:
Being a volunteer for no longer than 30 days, you need to provide:
- A color scan of your passport.
- Flight itinerary.
Over 30 days (up to three months):
Staying for more than 30 days you will be needing a Business Visa. This type of visa allows you to stay and work in the Maldives for 3 months.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old and at least 300 dpi)
- A medical report (we will provide the necessary forms to be completed by your doctor)
- A police report (less than 6 months old)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40 (business visa only). Your fee covers in country transfers, accommodation in Naifaru, 3 meals a day, activities and a weekly excursion. We find volunteers spend very little additional money whilst with us. Without these funds, we would not be able to continue our important community outreach projects.
Other Volunteer Programmes
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more information or if you have any specific questions. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
Visit our FAQs to see if we can solve your query, if not feel free to email us and we will help in any way we can.