Sports are incredibly important to our community and as a sports teacher you could help train the next generation of budding athletes.
Volleyball and football are locally very popular, as is fitness. Unusually for a small island, not many children can swim so swimming instructors are also in demand!
Have a fun, memorable experience helping to organise local tournaments.
It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Sundays every week|
|Duration||2 - 12 weeks
We recommend at least 3 weeks
|Requirements||• You have experience in one or more sports (football, fitness, swimming, volleyball, badminton, at)
• You are a driven sports lover
• You enjoy working with youth and children
• You are open-minded and forthcoming
• You are willing to commit yourself to helping our community!
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
- Volunteers can choose between teaching a number of sports including: fitness instructor, volleyball coach, football coach and swimming instructor.
- If you would prefer to gain a variety of different teaching experiences, then you can teach all of these sports throughout your stay.
- As a sports instructor, you will assist teams in designing training plans and organise tournaments within the community, but also between islands.
- Volunteers will also get the chance to set up female teams and children as we strive to involve everyone from the community in our activities
- This is an exciting opportunity for anyone wishing to gain international experience teaching sports for both students and trained professionals alike
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Being a small island community, recreational activities can often be limited and sometimes children or adults turn to undesirable activities to pass the time. Through creating these sports opportunities we seek to enrich the lives of our youth and keep them off a bad path. Volunteers provide international expertise and a passion for sports which spreads to the community improving the quality of life for local people.
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua stay. We have single-sex shared bedrooms with 2/3 people/room. All rooms are en-suite and comes equipped with own bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area equipt with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle. Rooms all have air-condition. Your accommodation is covered in the programme fee.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion per week. Normally on a Saturday but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We can go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come
Coming to the Maldives as a volunteer, the duration of time staying here will have an impact on the kind of visa you will get, and therefore which requirements needed.
Up to 30 days:
Being a volunteer for no longer than 30 days, you need to provide:
- A color scan of your passport.
- Flight itinerary.
Over 30 days (up to three months):
Staying for more than 30 days you will be needing a Business Visa. This type of visa allows you to stay and work in the Maldives for 3 months.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old)
- A medical report (less than 3 months old)
- A police report (less than 1 year old)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40. Insurance fee is, however, only needed for business visa.
Other Volunteer Programmes
Write us with any doubt that you have regarding our programmes.
Visit our FAQs to resolve your doubts about volunteering in Maldives.