Work at our local hospital, the Lhaviyani Atoll Hospital shadowing a doctor/nurse to gain international medical experience.
As a volunteer you have the option of gaining training in a variety of specialisms including: dentistry, nursing, midwifery, paediatricians, anaesthetists and GP training
Immerse yourself into the community and accompany a doctor on ‘home visits’
It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Sundays every week|
|Duration||2 - 12 weeks
We recommend at least 3 weeks
|Requirements||• You have a degree in a related field (E.g nursing)
• You have an open mind towards other cultures
• You are driven towards helping people
• You can be flexible and assist in various community-building programmes on our island
• You are willing to help develop our community
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
- Lhaviyani Atoll Hospital is based on Naifaru, largest city in the atoll with a population of ~5000
- The hospital has a general ward and maternity ward servicing ~11 000 from all around the Lhaviyani Atoll
- With modern facilities and qualified professionals on hand to teach valuable skills, this is a must for all students seeking to gain international experience during their degree
- Volunteers will gain the chance to explore the local culture as they assist GP’s with house-visits learning about cultural attitudes to medicine.
- We work closely with the hospital to ensure volunteers gain the most from their experience, so whether you seek; dentistry experience, nursing, midwifery, paediatricians, anaesthetists or GP training, we can provide this for you!
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Being a small island community we need volunteers with international experience and training to come into our hospital and help improve patient care. In addition you will work with locals to conduct events promoting public health awareness in the Maldives. Your international experience and outlook is vital for rethinking and improving public health across the Atoll. You have the chance to really change our community for the better.
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua stay. We have single-sex shared bedrooms with 2/3 people/room. All rooms are en-suite and comes equipped with own bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area equipt with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle. Rooms all have air-condition. Your accommodation is covered in the programme fee.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion per week. Normally on a Saturday but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We can go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come
In order to volunteer in our medical programme, you would need to come to the Maldives on a Business visa.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field (e.g nursing)
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old)
- A medical report (less than 3 months old)
- A police report (less than 1 year old)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
If you are in doubt if you qualify or not, send us an e-mail and we will help clear it up.
In order to secuire the visa, we would need this information 2 months prior to arrival. It is possible to apply later than 2 months prior to arrival, but in that case, we will not be held responsible if the visa is not ready.
|2 weeks||Not Available|
Become a volunteer in the Maldives, provide care for those in need, learn from our doctors and the different culture. You can educate local people about the best ways to avoid ill health.
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40.
Other Volunteer Programmes
Write us with any doubt that you have regarding our programmes.
Visit our FAQs to resolve your doubts about volunteering in Maldives.