Work closely with other ocean enthusiasts, both international and local, at our Atoll Marine Centre
Get involved in a variety of different projects including: sea turtle rehabilitation and headstarting program, coral gardening, reef monitoring and community outreach.
Live in the ‘real’ Maldives in a tight-knit, friendly community who will welcome you with open arms.
It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Sundays every week|
|Duration||2 - 12 weeks
We recommend at least 3 weeks
|Requirements||• The ability to swim and be comfortable in the water
• Hold an interest in marine life and conservation efforts
• Have an open mind towards other cultures
• Be willing to commit yourself to helping our community
• Bring your own snorkelling equipment (mask, snorkel and fins)
• Have experience in the field of marine biology or oceanography (beneficial)
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
Volunteers will work closely with our 2 resident marine biologists. Daily tasks are varied and may include:
• Cleaning and feeding the rescued turtles
• Conducting reef surveys on atoll islands
• Cleaning the coral frames/assessing coral health
• Organizing community beach cleans/marine awareness sessions.
Volunteers will receive training in fish/coral species identification and gain first-hand practical experience in international marine conservation for a local run NGO.
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Our marine programme is extensive and relies on volunteer support to help us achieve all our project aims. Simply put, without volunteers we would not be able to ensure the upkeep and continued operation of Atoll Marine Centre. Monitoring work is time consuming and extensive so we require all the help we can get in maintaining our coral frames and surveying local reefs.
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua stay. We have single-sex shared bedrooms with 2/3 people/room. All rooms are en-suite and comes equipped with own bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area equipt with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle. Rooms all have air-condition. Your accommodation is covered in the programme fee.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion per week. Normally on a Saturday but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We can go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival (only needed if you are staying for more than 30 days.)
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come
Coming to the Maldives as a volunteer, the duration of time staying here will have an impact on the kind of visa you will get, and therefore which requirements needed.
Up to 30 days:
Being a volunteer for no longer than 30 days, you need to provide:
- A color scan of your passport.
- Flight itinerary.
Over 30 days (up to three months):
Staying for more than 30 days you will be needing a Business Visa. This type of visa allows you to stay and work in the Maldives for 3 months.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field (e.g. marine biology)
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old)
- A medical report (less than 3 months old)
- A police report (less than 1 year old)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40. Insurance fee is, however, only needed for business visa.
Write us with any doubt that you have regarding our programmes.
Visit our FAQs to resolve your doubts about volunteering in Maldives.