This program will give you free reign to create new ideas and design new projects.
Fully integrate yourself with the community and work with both local & international volunteers.
Make a real difference to the lives of our people using your international skills and experience.
It’s not all work and no play, weekly excursions snorkelling, visiting uninhabited islands, camping, BBQs etc. offer some much needed rest time.
|Location||Naifaru Island, Maldives|
|Start Dates||Thursdays or Sundays every week|
|Duration||2 - 12 weeks
We recommend at least 3 weeks
|Requirements||• Have a good mind for and is passionate about organising
• Enjoy working with children, youth, and people from different cultures
• Are solution oriented
• Are open-minded and willing to embrace the views of others
• Can commit yourself to helping our community build a better future!
• You are minimum 18 years old
Volunteer Role: What will I be doing?
- Volunteers will have a lot of free reign to develop new ideas and propose projects for improving our community
- Volunteers will have the opportunity to work closely with other international volunteers and local Naifaru Juvenile volunteers
- We offer a range of different placements, but also welcome any ideas you may have. Placements include: eco-waste management, youth counselling, botany and gardening, construction, grant writer and community organiser.
“My time on Naifaru working as a marine volunteer was absolutely amazing and I will always remember it. It was an incredible experience and although I have travelled a lot the Maldives are a special place!”
Nina Undvardi-Lakos, Marine Conservation Volunteer, 2014
Why are volunteers needed on this project?
Volunteers provide international expertise and a fresh perspective on our community, coming up with vital new ideas as to how we can develop and improve our local community. Recent projects have included ‘Gardens for Life’ and awareness events to promote understanding of waste management issues. Without international volunteers, we cannot accomplish all the projects our community needs. It cannot be understated the value of community volunteers to our people!
Where will I be living?
Accomodation is provided in our local guesthouse; Aqua stay. We have single-sex shared bedrooms with 2/3 people/room. All rooms are en-suite and comes equipped with own bathroom. The house has free WiFi and a communal living area equipt with sofas, TV, books, a fridge and a kettle. Rooms all have air-condition. Your accommodation is covered in the programme fee.
Free Time & Excursions
We organize one excursion per week. Normally on a Saturday but the day may vary depending on weather/availability. We can go on a variety of exciting excursions around the Lhaviyani Atoll and always take into account what you as a volunteer would like to do with your time. Examples of some of the excursions include a: resort day trip, snorkeling trips, overnight camping trips, night fishing trips, BBQs or visits to uninhabited islands. Volunteers may also get the chance to go on reef surveys of the neighboring islands with our marine team.
During your free time on the island, we encourage volunteers to get in the sea as much as possible and take photos of the marine life and islands. We have a wonderful little community here and there is some fantastic sights and scenery to take in as you walk around our island.
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- Pre-arrival information about your programme, organization and environment
- VISA application on your behalf so it is ready for you on arrival (Only needed if you are staying for more than 30 days.)
- We book local accommodation and organize airport pickup
- In-country transportation between Male and Naifaru either via ferry or speedboat
- Accommodation on Naifaru
- 3 meals a day
- 1 excursion/week
- 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator
- In-country transportation from Naifaru to Male either via ferry or speedboat
- Certificate of competency
- Lifetime of memories
- Discount of 20% if you decide to come
Coming to the Maldives as a volunteer, the duration of time staying here will have an impact on the kind of visa you will get, and therefore which requirements needed.
Up to 30 days:
Being a volunteer for no longer than 30 days, you need to provide:
- A color scan of your passport.
- Flight itinerary.
Over 30 days (up to three months):
Staying for more than 30 days you will be needing a Business Visa. This type of visa allows you to stay and work in the Maldives for 3 months.
In order to qualify for a Business you would need to provide:
- A prove of degree in a related field
- A color scan copy of your passport
- A passport sized photo (less than 3 months old)
- A medical report (less than 3 months old)
- A police report (less than 1 year old)
- A completed and signed vetting form (we will provide the form to be filled out.)
All fees are shown in USD and are exclusive of the administration fee of $200.00, Bank Transfer fee $25 and Insurance fee $40. Insurance fee is, however, only needed for business visa.
Other Volunteer Programmes
Write us with any doubt that you have regarding our programmes.
Visit our FAQs to resolve your doubts about volunteering in Maldives.